Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Hump Day Rant

This cough of mine is getting ridiculous. I just can’t seem to shake it and my doctor doesn’t seem to want to do anything about it. Nor does the doctor seem to care that the cough is brought on by my sinuses dripping down the back of my throat.

Last week I bought some Actifed and they work great, but they make me so tired I can hardly think, let alone do anything else. If I take them, all I want to do is sleep. If I don’t take them, all I do is cough. It’s a vicious cycle.

Yesterday I went to the pharmacy and had them recommend something else for me. So far, all I can say is that this stuff doesn’t make me sleepy. Let’s hope it’ll start drying up my sinuses in time for bed.

* * * * * * * * * *

Sunday night the in-laws took the entire family (the 18 of us that live in town) out for an Easter dinner. This included my three year old nephew who’s the poster child for birth control. My ears are still ringing from his screaming fit every time someone spoke to him in a tone he didn’t like or tried to get him to sit down.

It’s easy to blame genetics (his two older sisters were a handful as well) but the truth of the matter is that genetics only plays one part. The rest is upbringing. The parents of this child have never presented a united front. I tried to point this out to the sister in law when she used to come to me for advice over the other two, but she’d never listen. You can’t have one parent say no while the other just lets a child get away with anything they want. It won’t work.

Oh well. As my sister would say, “It’s not my pile.” I only have to deal with the child for family get-togethers. In the interest of family harmony, however, I may offer to pay for a baby-sitter for them the day of the daughter’s wedding. ;-)

* * * * * * * * * *

Last night the daughter and I went to a make-over party, where the idea is to sell the participants lots of expensive beauty products. I haven’t worn make-up in a long, long, time - not since I stopped working in an office.

However, now that I’m contemplating getting back into the business world, I’ve been thinking I should start looking a little more professional. And that means going back to wearing make-up. Until the party, I’d forgotten how much make-up can enhance your appearance - or, with a few extra strokes of the brush, make you look like a graduate from clown college. Eye shadow is definitely not going to be included in my daily routine!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Wimp! all you do is find two neutral shadows...light on top, dark in the crease, and blend...takes 2 secs...and then eye liner and mascara to finish....believe me, once you get back into the swing you can put "on the face" in 5 minutes flat. Wouldnt leave the house without it...It is my shield to face the world.

graceunderpressure said...

I stopped all makeup. It wasn't helping ;P My girlfriend can put on her 'face' without the aid of a mirror. Even mascara. She says,"my face hasn't gone anywhere in the last 40 years, I should know where everything is". Yah, right. I would have the wand right in the eyeball.
Anyway, if you are clean and tidy, then makeup is optional.
I would never give up my moisturizer!