Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Spring Has Sprung

Yesterday I played catch-up with all things computery. I made sure I had all the essentials on my lap top, set up my MSN again, and checked my e-mails where I discovered a notification that I’d won second place in a poetry contest I entered a few weeks ago.

Okay, and now I’m distracted by these two little nuthatches outside my window that are busy checking out the birch tree on our front lawn. They’re so little, and cute. Of course Panda thinks they just look yummy. She’s crouched on top of the book case making clicking noises, her tail whipping back and forth . . . One of these days I’m going to come home and find a Panda shaped hole in the glass.

I have green things coming up in my garden. Yes, I know that’s what’s supposed to happen this time of year, but these green things are coming up in the wrong place! Along the front of the house we have a two tiered garden that used to have tiger lilies and lily-of-the-valley in the top, and bedding plants in the bottom. Anyone who’s ever grown either plant knows how insidious they can be, so a couple of years ago the husband transplanted the tiger lilies to the back fence, and most of the lily-of-the-valley. We kept a narrow band of l-o-t-v along the back of the bottom tier.

The following year we were still able to put the bedding plants in the bottom tier, and in the upper one we laid down that black gardening cloth, put in five, evenly spaced shrubs, and covered the cloth with bark chips. That whole summer it looked really nice.

It looked nice last year, even though the narrow line of lily-of-the-valley thickened. This year? There’s a mystery green plant coming up in the bottom tier - it’s too well organized to be a weed, so I’m waiting until it gets bigger before I pass judgement on it - and the lilies are popping up wherever they damn well please.

They’re all over the lower tier. They’re poking up through the gardening cloth and bark chips. They’re even coming up in the lawn. I don’t want to get rid of them entirely, but I also don’t want to have a garden full of lily-of-the-valley. I’m pretty sure they’ve choked out my Stars of Bethlehem - haven’t seen a sign of them so far.

*grumble* Stupidly agressive plants!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Lily of the valley is one of those great little plants that you put in an area you dont want to weed, but you want some ground cover...those poor little plants are only doing what God grew them for....Shame on you....pulling them out....

Carol, the cat slave said...

Fine. The next batch I'll dig them out and you can have them. :-p