Monday, March 30, 2009

A New Week

Now this is just plain wrong. After a weekend of people roaming around in spring coats, some in shirt sleeves even, I’m sitting here looking out the deck doors and it’s snowing. SNOWING! I think Mother Nature is playing her April Fool’s joke a couple of days early.

Go away snow, stop sticking to my deck! It was raining all weekend, the last dregs of winter had finally melted away. Now we’re going to be back where we started. No wonder everyone’s so sick these days, the weather’s been really up and down you never know what to expect.

*sigh* Okay, I’ll try to stop ranting, but it’s going to be hard when I’m sitting in the dining room, facing the deck doors and all I can see is white. I will say that I must have been psychic though, I put a stew in the crock pot when I got up this morning and this is definitely stew weather.

I also have a great view of the above ground pool we have on the other side of the deck. What a mess that’s going to be to deal with in a couple of months. Sometime during the winter the cord that holds the cover over it broke and now that the ice has melted the whole thing has sunk, taking the winter’s detritus with it.

* * * * * * * * * *

I finished the ugly blanket! I actually finished it Wednesday night, so Thursday found me in Wal Mart searching for some wool to make a border around it so it would look finished. I’ve heard rumours that they’re phasing out their wool and fabric departments and I’m beginning to believe it. There wasn’t much of a selection. I settled for an off white, which I used to crochet around the edge for the border. The blanket itself looks like candy floss and candy corn exploded together and landed on marshmallow fluff.

Seriously.

It's been a while since I've done any crocheting, as you recall I was knitting the ugly blanket. I worked steadily on the border Friday night until my upper arm started to hurt. When I woke up in the morning it was really stiff, but I kept crocheting anyway, just to get the darn thing finished.

* * * * * * * * * *

I really have to stay away from Wal Mart. When I was there Thursday I couldn’t help but notice the orchids they had sitting right in front of the cash registers. I love orchids. And I’m actually pretty good at growing them. I have one that I grew from a seedling; it took seven years for that sucker to bloom, but now it blooms on a regular basis.

I have three other orchids I acquired when I worked at a grocery store. The floral department lady knew I loved orchids, so when she’d have to put a hefty discount on one (looked like it was dying, lost it’s bloom stalk, etc.) she’d let me know. I’d take the plant home and nurse it back to health. These ones are great. They take a long time to bloom, but when they do the blossoms last for months.

Anyway, I saw these four foot high orchids in Wal Mart and immediately went into covet mode. When I was back on Saturday I fully intended to buy one, but unfortunately the husband was with me and he reminded me that we have cats who love plants.

*sigh* If I can figure out where to put one that the cats can’t get it, I would still like to buy one. In the meantime, I settled for two miniature orchids, which I’ve never seen before, and a curly leafed ivy that jumped into my cart of its own free will when we were shopping at No Frills.

Would I lie to you? ;-)

No comments: