Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Battlestar & Blankets

Did you catch the series finale of Battlestar Galactica on the weekend? The show itself may have been the “best show on television” but it had the lamest ending ever. If it had been a book, I’d have thrown it across the room.

I won’t spoil it by going into detail, but suffice it to say they did answer all the questions and wrapped up the loose ends. It was just the way they did it . . . it was a tad disappointing. I expected better of them. The only good thing I can say is, I got lots done on the blanket I’m working on.

I am knitting the world’s ugliest blanket. Be thankful my camera is kaput or I’d be posting a photograph. Actually, a photograph would be nice because this ugliness defies description. It’s a textured wool, one that’s kind of thin and velvety to the touch, but every couple of inches there’s a puff of fluffy wool. The colour is pink, blue, and turquoise. It really has to be seen to be believed.

I’m not sure what possessed me to buy this wool in the first place . . . I think I blame Wal Mart. It kept getting in all this funky looking wool for cheap prices and we all know how much I love a bargain. Originally I was trying to crochet an afghan out of it but even using the biggest hook I have it didn’t work out well. So I whipped out the good ole knitting needles, cast on 120 stitches (which was supposed to make it 60 inches wide but it’s more like 75) and so far I’ve knit over 40 inches. I’ve used up all the wool that was in the afghan (which was less than half that size) and now I’m starting on the extra balls. I’m just going to keep going until I’ve used up all the wool, then I’ll have to find something to crochet around the edge to finish it. I’m thinking of picking up the turquoise colour since it seems the least offensive to the eye.

Yes, it’s going to be one ugly blanket, but I’ll bet it’s going to be uber warm!

No comments: