Saturday, November 29, 2008

The Good (Nano), the Bad (November) and the Ugly (the News)

The weather’s been pretty grey and dismal, but I’ve managed to push through it and get some writing done the last few days. I reached the required 50K late Thursday night to complete the Nano challenge and added another 1500 words yesterday. There’s still story left over to tell so I’m going to be filling in plot holes until it’s done, then I’ll start the dreaded editing while I work on something else.

The daughter was home on Tuesday for a job interview with our local archive, a part-time job that could lead to full time in the future (knock wood). It’s a great opportunity for her and they hired her on the spot. Now we just have to find a job for the fiancé (he’s already started applying) and a place for them to live. I must say it will be very strange for her to be living in town but not under our roof.

November is usually such a cheerless month and this month has been no exception. If I ever have the money I’d like to spend the months of November and February someplace sunny, like Arizona or New Mexico. Or better yet a tropical island where you don’t have to worry so much about crazies with guns - like that woman in the states who’s taught all her children how to handle a fire arm, including her 4-year-old daughter.

Speaking of crazies, yesterday was Black Friday in the U.S. Apparently, that’s what they call the first shopping day after Thanksgiving (which was Thursday). Stores open real early in the morning and the bargain hunters are out in full force. I heard about people getting injured in department stores and most disturbing of all was the report of a Wal-Mart employee getting trampled to death by bargain hunters.

Don’t believe me? Read the whole story HERE

No comments: