Monday, December 1, 2008

Batteries and Baking

I just had to change the battery in my cordless mouse and it suddenly occurred to me that I’ve been going through batteries pretty fast lately. And then it occurred to me that maybe it was because I was playing more spider solitaire than I was writing.

Don’t bother suggesting that I delete spider solitaire from my computer, I’d only find it online. :-) I’m just going to have to rely on my weak will to keep up the good writing habits I picked up while Nanoing. (Yeah, I know. Good luck with that!)

The weather is not putting me in a very Christmasy mood. It’s been very grey and dismal and when we get precipitation it’s rain, not snow. It hasn’t even become cold enough for me to break out my winter coat yet. What’s going on? This is Canada, for crying out loud, in December!

I need the snow to get me in the Christmas mood and I need to be in a Christmas mood before I can start my Christmas baking. I have a brand new convection oven to try out this year. It will be interesting to see whether it’s a help or a hindrance.

Christmas baking is a family tradition. You can’t have Christmas without cookies. So every year I go crazy baking batch after batch of cookies, and every year I’m so sick of them by the time I’m done I give most of them away. Go ahead, call me crazy. My family already does. :-)

I’ve got lots of rum in the house, maybe I’ll start out with rum balls. But not with the recipe I used the last time. The last time I made rum balls I’m not sure what happened, but they ended up as rum-soaked chocolate cement in the mixing bowl. While my daughter and I enjoyed chipping out chunks of them to nibble on, they weren’t exactly something I could include in my gift baskets.

Now, should I use white rum or dark rum in my rum balls? Hmm. I have both, maybe I should do a taste test before I make up my mind . . .

I’ll let you know how it turns out.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

PIN WHEEL COOKIES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jewel Allen said...

Since December rolled around, I haven't heard much tap tap tapping on my keyboard.

NaNo IS crazy, but it sure helped my productivity.

I hope we both get snow soon. (Though I love this warm weather, too)

Race said...

snow... I'm waiting quite impatiently. Around here it is just brown and gray.
And you say spider solitair is hurting your productivity! Me too! Well, games are hurting my productivity. My game is chess.
Saw you over at absolute write, will be checking into this blog often now. You have great style - writing style. :)

Carol, the cat slave said...

Cia, you're going to have to wait for Christmas for the pinwheel cookies, same as always. :-p

Pink, I have to agree with the productivity NaNo generates. I sure miss it!

Rachel, thanks for the kind words!