Saturday, December 6, 2008

Not Funny!

It appears that the Christmas spirit and the weather gods have conspired together and are having a cosmic joke at my expense. Today I was supposed to finish up the Christmas shopping for all the out-of-towners on my list (namely my sisters and their families) and what does it do? It snows.

The snow started last night and is still going. And just to add insult to injury, it’s windy out. Just enough wind to make out of town travelling risky, at best. So no checking out the new Costco in Peterborough, and no trip to a proper sized mall in one of the surrounding cities.

I know, I know, I’ve been whining about not having any snow to get me in the Christmasy mood. But I could have just as easily gotten into the Christmas mood tomorrow, after I shopped.

* * * * * * * * * *
My career counsellor called me yesterday with some good news. I’ve been investigating going back to school through a government program called Second Career, only the course I really wanted to take doesn’t start until September, which was too late.

Apparently, things have changed and it’s no longer too late. If I get accepted then once my unemployment runs out in April I will be allowed to get an interim job that I can quit in September to go back to school. How sweet would that be?

Fortunately, I have all the paperwork, it’s just a matter of filling it out and doing the required research. One of the benefits of getting it all done this early will be that if, for any reason, I’m turned down for the program, I’ll still have time to do one of the Skills Ontario courses which, though shorter, will also ultimately lead me to being employed.

I think it’s a sign, and a good sign at that.

No comments: