Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Christmas Tradition

LOL I was just re-reading Sunday’s post. Only I could take something as simple as a trip to London and make a disaster out of it.

I got the Christmas tree up yesterday, and even put the lights on it. I’ll save the ornaments for the daughter since it’s a tradition in our house that tree decorating is the kid’s job. As one would imagine, with five cats in the house there are no glass ornaments on our tree. However, it’s not because of the cats that we eschew the use of glass ornaments, it’s because there’s no room for them.

One of my favorite memories of Christmas when I was little, was how the first thing my mother would bake would be gingerbread men. Then she’d sit me at the table with a pile of gingerbread men, bowls of different coloured icing, and small spoons, blunt knives, and toothpicks with which to decorate them. I suspect it was a ploy to keep me out from under her feet, but it worked all around.

When my daughter was little, we started making home made Christmas ornaments. Each year we’d make a new ornament, ranging from the very simple (candy cane reindeer) to the very complicated (pinecone/milkweed pod angels). Occasionally we’d make extra to give as gifts.

This year I have some crochetted snow flakes to add to the collection, some with silver thread running through them, some with gold. To be honest, they were a pain in the butt to make - teeney tiny thread, teeney tiny crochet hooks. And I did them a while ago so I’m going to have to brave the closet monsters in the craft closet to find them.

With the way the weather’s behaving, they could well be the only snow flakes we see at Christmas.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Mmm gingerbread men sound delightful. I have never made them myself, but do love to eat them. What a great tradition of making Christmas ornaments. I wouldn't think that many people do that much anymore.