Sunday, December 28, 2008

Black Sunday. Literally.

I did not sleep well last night. At the time I contributed this to the change in the weather and my incredibly sore throat, but now I believe it was my subconscious telling me what I was in for today.

We’ve been having record highs in temperature this week - you should have seen the rain on Boxing Day - and today we had wind as well. We’re not talking a breeze here, we’re talking “Hello, my name is Dorothy and I live in Kansas” type wind.
After a night through which I did more tossing and turning than actual sleeping, I woke up early to a certain taste in the back of my throat that meant I was in for a "very bad day", gastrically speaking, unless I got some yogurt into me, pronto. I hate yogurt, and had to go across town to buy some and when I got home I discovered the power was out.

So much for the fancy breakfast I was planning to make everyone today. Guess I’ll make it New Year’s Day insted.

Although our neighborhood was annexed into the town about 15 years ago, we don’t have storm sewers to take care of the ground water, we have sump pumps. Sump pumps run on electricity. No electricity means no sump pump which means flooded basement.

Fortunately, our neighbor had a generator and was kind enough to run an incredibly long extension cord from his house to our house. It took care of the pump but we still had water seeping in from other sources. The worst damage is to the carpets and a couple of boxes.

The daughter and her fiancé had to go back to London today to finish packing and for him to work his last day. I had fully intended to take them myself, but by the time they were ready to leave I was too sick - stuffed head, sore throat, cough, dizzy, not to mention the funky stomach. So the husband took them and I went back to bed.

Then I found out that one of my friends passed away from Cancer early this morning.

Then, before the husband got home, the daughter called to say her car had been broken into. AGAIN! It wasn’t stolen, but they’d popped the lock off the driver side door, cut through the steering wheel to get the club off, and popped out the ignition. I don’t know if the thieves were interrupted or if they were just making a statement that the club couldn’t stop them, but nothing was taking from the car. Well, except for the starter mechanism.

I’m actually kinda glad this is all happening at the end of the year. It gives me hope that the start of the New Year will bring a change of luck - for the better.

No comments: