Tuesday, November 11, 2008

I Remember

I remember my grandfather, who was with the St. John’s Ambulance in both WWI and WWII. I remember him showing me how to draw a pine tree and gifting me with his oil paints.

I remember my father, who fought in WWII and in Korea. I remember he was injured for his country, and had problems with his injuries all his life. I remember his love of power boats and even though our cabin cruiser was old and only 20 feet long, we could still pretend. I remember the hot summer day when he wouldn’t cut the back lawn until all the baby frogs the size of crickets from the pond in the back had finished passing through.

I remember my brother-in-law, who fought in Korea. I remember his sense of humour and his amazing artistic talent. I remember the way he didn’t like watching M*A*S*H because he said there was nothing funny about war.

I remember my uncle, who was a tail gunner in the Lancaster for the 9th Squadron in WWII. I remember the way he liked to tinker with small engines. I remember his ready smile and his addiction to Louis L’Amour westerns.

You are all remembered.

You are still missed.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

what about your future son-in-law who was wounded in Iraq?
:P

Carol, the cat slave said...

The post was about family members who have served but are no longer with us now. Last I saw, my future son-in-law was still alive and kicking (unless there's something you haven't told me?) You might notice I didn't mention the brother-in-law out west or the nephew down east, both of whom are also alive.

Anonymous said...

but Remembrance day isn't just about dead veterans. Chris and Uncle Phil are veterans too. It makes me sad sometimes because there are so many people who think that veterans have to be old and grey and in a wheel chair, there are so many young veterans who never get recognized :( Also Erin and I haven’t served any tours so we don’t count :P

I mean Grandpa, Great Grandpa and the Uncles didn’t DIE in the wars they in, all three of them died way later, so how come they’re worth remembering and thanking but living veterans aren’t?

This isn’t meant as a criticism, I really do wonder why people seem to have this idea that to be a veteran you have to be old, dead, or disabled, it’s actually a really big problem!!

Also, I didn’t know Great Grandpa taught you to paint, I always assumed it was grandpa. . .is that paint brief case his??

Jewel Allen said...

That's a lot of noble legacy from your family! Your family sounds amazing.