Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Happy Hump Day

It doesn't feel like Wednesday . . . but then that's what usually happens on weeks that have a holiday Monday, they get thrown off kilter.

For those of you who've been asking, Panda is up to 6 pounds 4 ounces now. She's gained a whole 4 ounces in the last couple of weeks. She's even managed to finish off a bag of her special cat chow. She still needs to go to the vet twice a week, but she's got the routine down pat - she jumps on the scale herself to be weighed and then waits patiently for her I.V.

Yesterday we were sprung early from school due to the heat. The air conditioning wasn't working in our classroom. Not the whole school, just our classroom. It was like a sauna in there. Even the ones who usually complain about how cold it is were stripping down. *shudder* It was not a pretty sight.

We started Access yesterday . . . without our textbooks. At the last minute the supplier back-ordered our textbooks, so the school had to scramble to find a new one. According to the teacher, the text books we ended up with (today) are a lot better because the instructions are more hands on. All I can say is, it's hard on my eyes.

I wear bifocals (yes, I'm that old!). Theoretically, I'm supposed to look through the upper part for distance or lighted screens (computer, T.V., etc.) and the bottom part for reading. There's also an anti-glare coating and they're supposed to darken when it gets too bright. Well, I use them for driving and for reading the on-screen guide to changes channels on the T.V., but that's about it. The lighting in the classroom makes it to bright to read the text book without glasses, but it bugs my eyes to try and read the text book with them. I'd sit further back from the desk, but the aisles are narrow enough as it is.

Despite the initial problems, I really like Access. Data-bases are my thing. I can already think of many ways to use this program at home - starting with cataloguing my books.

It's about time, eh?

2 comments:

Jamie D. said...

Ah, databases. I convinced our department head to hire a DB administrator when I first came to work here, so I wouldn't have to take care of them. I can, but don't want to. :-)

I wore bifocals in jr. high - and *loved* them (my eyesight is horrible, and using bifocals helped "fix" a focusing problem I had then). I don't need them now, but will again eventually, so says my eye doc. Hubby, on the other hand, has bifocals now, and refuses to use them. He still just takes his glasses off to read (and I tease him about it all the time).

graceunderpressure said...

Yes! Time to catalogue instead of CAT-alogue! haha ^_^