Friday, August 21, 2009

Friday, Finally!

Parts of this week seem to zip by, but other parts just dragged. I mostly just dragged too. What a life!

Went to the poetry reading that my poetry group sponsors once a month at a local coffee shop - it was very interesting. There was quite a crowd and I learned an important lesson: if you're there by yourself, don't give up your seat for anything, no matter how badly you need to use the restroom. I thought leaving my teapot, cup, and glasses behind would be enough to stake my claim, but apparently I was wrong.

The first poet up was from our group and he did an interesting mix of jazz and poetry. Next was a guest poet from Toronto and it was wrapped up by another group member. I must remember to start bringing more cash to these things because the guest poets usually have a book to sell and I would have liked the one from last night's guest.

As I sipped my chai tea, I couldn't help but notice the gentleman beside me who, in the course of the next two hours, waded through a piece of cake, a pot of tea, two glasses of red wine and two vanilla milkshakes. I think what caught my attention more than the sheer volume was the variety.

And, of course, wouldn't you know that the storm that'd been threatening all day descended on us while we were in the coffee shop. It was pouring rain when we got out and me on the other side of the parking lot. Oh, well. Since I'm not made of sugar I didn't melt, though I wasn't that keen on the spectacular display of lightning out over the lake.

At least we fared better than a lot of people a little north of us. I was reading in the paper this morning about the funnel clouds and twisters that ripped through the area not far from us. A lot of damage was done in a very short time - power lines down, trees felled, roofs ripped off . . . and then to add insult to injury, the sun came out once the wind died down again.

Now it's off to school where I get to spend the morning trying to figure out why the one report I'm doing in Access with it's sub-report works, and the next one doesn't. I got so frustrated yesterday that I skipped to the following one, which also works.

Let the fun and games ensue!

2 comments:

graceunderpressure said...

glad you're ok! =O

De's Stories said...

Yes, I heard about the Tornados on the News. I hope everything gets better very soon.