Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Organization

You know, the problem with getting things organized is that you have to keep it up on a regular basis, otherwise you end up with just as big a mess as you started with. Well, maybe not quite as big, but a mess nonetheless.

I’m sure it would help if I didn’t wait until stuff (books, papers, etc) was stacked up so high there should be an avalanche warning posted. It would probably also help if I didn’t feel the need to redefine my organizational system when it gets to that point. One of these days maybe I’ll get it right!

Late Monday afternoon I sat down and did some serious thinking about what I’m doing and where I’m going. While others spent the last holiday weekend of the summer at various productive endeavors, I . . . did not. This is one of the pitfalls of being unemployed. The more time you have, the less productive you tend to be.

I thought about the length of time I’ve been writing and what I had to show for it. I thought about where I am in life and where I’d like to be. I thought back over the last 8 weeks (that I’ve been unemployed) and what I have to show for it - I’m not impressed. Changes need to be made.

So I wrote out a list - actually, several lists - of things I could be doing, things I should be doing, and things I need to be doing on a daily basis. I work best with a structure, and while I didn’t write down a specific schedule to get me through the day, I did make a list of things I need to do on a daily basis.

I’ll let you know how it works out.

1 comment:

graceunderpressure said...

alphabetical.. and in baskets.. that is all my advice. *waves*