Friday, September 5, 2008

Memory Lane

One of the reasons it’s taking me so long to clean out the spare bedroom closet is that I’m trying to purge as I go, and being the pack rat that I am, it’s not easy.

Going through the box that held old craft instructions (books, magazines, articles) was a trip down memory lane. Anyone remember the Macrame craze of the ‘70's? I must have been crazed to buy the number of instruction leaflets I found. Especially when you consider that the only things I remember every making were a couple of belts.

How about crepe paper, that stretchy craft paper that came in a variety of colours? I don’t even think they make it any more, but it was great for making artificial flowers.

I also found quite a few craft magazines that came from an Aunt’s house. I remember how much I loved to visit her when I was a kid. She was the one who gave me my love of crafts. Every time I’d visit she’d have a new craft to teach me. Though she's gone her legacy lives on, passed down to my daughter and hopefully, one day, to her children.

It was hard to give up some of those books, but if I haven’t even looked at them in twenty years, the chances of me using them in the next twenty are pretty slim. Most of these books and magazines are in really good shape so they’re being donated. It helps when I think that someone else might make use of them.

Next up, the box marked Writing Notes.

No comments: