Sunday, September 21, 2008

The Rooster Crows

Just as the weather has been changing lately (from hot and humid to crisp and clear) so have my sleeping habits. In the winter months when I was on a midnight shift, I had no trouble sleeping during the day. But once I was off that shift I became a day person again.

I like the mornings and I’ve never had any problems getting up early. If I have a good reason to that is. When you have to set your alarm to get up and go to work, it’s a whole different ball game than when you can get up any time you like. It leads to staying up later, which leads to sleeping in later . . . A truly vicious cycle.

My most productive time seems to be the afternoon, from lunch to about supper time. So the time I get up in the morning shouldn’t make any difference, right?

Wrong. I miss the early mornings, when everything is just waking up and it’s quiet and peaceful outside . . . And the reason I don’t really get anything done before lunch is because I get such a late start. I don’t get much accomplished in the evenings either, other than reading or watching TV, there’s a lot of wasted time there.

So I’m going to try an experiment this week. I’m going to set my alarm and get up at a normal time and then come into my office to get to work. Writing is my new job. I’ll let you know how it goes.

Ask not for whom the rooster crows, my friend, it crows for you.

1 comment:

graceunderpressure said...

BuGAAW!! me too. I found if I got dressed in 'going to work' clothes, I got more done as I dashed about the house on a deadline, than if I got up in loungewear and dawdled along.