Monday, June 1, 2009

Another Weekend, Come and Gone

Hmm.

As I was typing the title for this post my finger slipped and I had ‘coma’ instead of ‘come’. I wonder what Freud would have to say about that? I kinda feel like I’m in a coma today, another grey, miserable day.

Oh joy.

This weekend I probably spent more time looking for things than doing things.

As I have mentioned before, the daughter is getting married. In a month. Ack! Where did the time go?

Saturday I sat down with my list of things to be done before the wedding and started to prioritize.

First up, the veil. I had the pattern, I had the material, I just needed to wait for the cats to take their naps so they weren’t tempted to “help” me cut it out. Okay, that was easy enough, you had to piece the pattern together, but it ends up pretty much in one big piece. That was the easy part. Then I had to pin the satin ribbon around the edge.

I sat in the living room and watched American Graffiti while I pinned. Fifteen feet of ribbon and I was short about one foot. So I had to re-pin the whole damn thing to redistribute the ribbon evenly. Argh! Sewing the ribbon in place was another adventure, as was ironing the ribbon. The iron had to be hot enough to work on the ribbon, but not so hot that it melted the tulle. But it's done and it looks pretty good if I do say so myself.

Next up were the centerpiece cloths. These are black squares of cloth that will be going on the middle of the white table cloths for the reception. One corner will have a red poppy embroidered, the opposite corner will have a white silhouette of a cowboy and bride (the other two corners will have tea lights sitting on them and there’ll be flowers in a vase in the center).

Earlier in the week (last week maybe?) I transferred the pictures to the cloth. Now it was time to start embroidering them. But first I needed to find my embroidery needles. This meant going into the dreaded craft closet.

A few months ago (a couple of years ago?) in a fit of organizational madness, I cleaned out my craft closet to organize things so I could find stuff easier. That was the theory, anyway.

I found the bag my embroidery stuff used to be in.
I found a robe I’d bought one of my sisters two years ago (I knew I’d bought it, I just couldn’t find it).
I thought I found my stitchery stuff in a box on one of the shelves, but it turned out to have quilting stuff and embroidery transfers.
At last I found it in one of two small, clear plastic bins I bought when I organized the closet so I could see my beading stuff and my embroidery stuff easier. These bins are at eye level.

Sigh.

My embroidery stuff has been re-organized and is now back in its straw bag, where it belongs. The plastic bin is now holding the overflow of beading stuff that was scattered hither and yon.

So how was your weekend?

No comments: