Thursday, February 26, 2009

Score!

I managed to score some sausage at No Frills. Trust me, it’s not what you think.

Is it just me or have groceries become stupidly expensive? This is why when stores like No Frills have a dollar sale people go crazy. The daughter and I went yesterday and there were no carts available out front. I’ve never seen that happen before.

Inside the store was no place for claustrophobics. Wall to wall people who are not afraid to use their shopping carts as weapons. The sale is on for two weeks people. Is it really necessary to mow down little old ladies just to get a couple of inches closer to the one dollar bread?

The first time I went (on Saturday, my regular shopping day) they were already out of the turkeys, but they had some Oktoberfest sausage, package of five for a dollar. I got a couple of packs and we had them for supper on Monday night. Yum! The husband suggested we might like a couple of packages for the freezer so we could barbeque them in the summer, so I went back to the store on Tuesday.

Tuesday they didn’t have any sausage, but I ran into a relative of the husband who works there and she managed to score me a turkey. I guarded that sucker with my life because they hadn’t brought the rest of them out yet.

Then yesterday I went back with my daughter who’s in the process of moving and needed food for her new kitchen. Lots of turkeys there, so I bought two more. Then, when we were almost finished and were back tracking to find something we’d forgotten, a store employee with a shopping cart passed us.

Being the observant person I am, I said out loud: “Oh look, he’s bringing out sausage!”

Whereupon he stopped and with a note of resignation in his voice asked us how many packages we wanted. Score!

So now my cupboard is bursting with Liptons Side Kicks (both rice and pasta) and cans of ravioli and soup, my freezer is packed with turkey and sausage (though I restrained myself and did not bother with the Hot Stuffs or Bagel Bites), and the husband is going to have a cow when he sees my stock pile.

Wonder if there’s any room in the freezer for some beef?

No comments: