Monday, February 9, 2009

Of Cats and Crocheting

For some reason I don’t like to just sit and watch television by itself. I have to be doing something at the same time. Sometimes I read a book while watching, more often than not I have my lap top open and am playing games, reading on-line, or surfing. I also have what I term T.V. crafts: knitting, embroidery, crocheting - cross stitch doesn’t count because you have to concentrate too much on it (at least I do).

Last night I decided to close the lap top and I picked up the afghan I started before Christmas. It's shades of brown, big hearts on a cream coloured background and I’ll be giving it to the daughter and her fiancé when I’m finished. If I have my camera fixed by then I’ll even post a picture.

I was pretty pleased with the progress I made, but it’s been a while since I’ve done any serious crocheting and I’m feeling it today. My left arm, the one that tends to do most of the work, hurts like hell. I tried to do another square this morning to work the kinks out (a hair of the dog kind of thing), but it didn’t help. Guess I’d better learn to pace myself.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Yesterday was sunny for the most part and one of the things sun does best is reflect off shiny things, like watches and other jewelry that people passing in front of the big deck doors are wearing. I wasn’t the only one to notice this, the cats noticed it too.

So, being the caring human being I am, I went into my office and found my laser pen so the cats and I could have some fun. Laser pens (or laser pointers) are the best cat toys ever for multiple cats. They’ll chase it around in circles or up and down the stairs. There’s no hogging the toy, there’s no stealing it out from under your brother. There may be a little pushing and shoving to get at it, but it’s all part of the fun.

You can get pretty much the same effect from a flashlight, but the laser gets more distance. Just remember to keep the lights away from everyone’s eyes, both kitty and human.

No comments: