Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Crunch Time

“The time has come,” the walrus said, “to speak of many things: Of shoes and ships and sealing wax, of cabbages and kings.”

It’s time to make a decision. Do I go back to school within the next couple of months to upgrade my office skills in hopes of getting a job I can settle for; or do I wait until September and go back to school to get a career.

The pros of getting training for a job are: it’s a shorter course; I’ll be able to job-hunt sooner; I can probably take it locally. The cons are: I do NOT want to end up behind a reception desk again, which is probably what will happen; lower pay.

The pros of getting training for a career are: better pay; more meaningful work. The cons are: I’ll still have to find a job to take me to September; it’s a two-year course; a career is more time-consuming than a job.

I’ve been putting off the decision in hopes that my writing will take me somewhere, but I lost my writerly mojo before Christmas and haven’t been able to get it back. The only bright spot is that I’m not alone. Quite a few writers whose blogs I visit are having the same problem.

Maybe February will be a better month, writing-wise. I sure hope so. In the mean time, I still have a decision to make.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

If I can suggest...Forget getting anything local for secretarial support. Those are some of the positions disappearing. Find an in-between, and go for the career. I did, and I do not regret the decision even though the cost was high.

graceunderpressure said...

Here, here! excellent advice. And get career training with a placement. My hubby also found this to be the best option. Althouuuuuugh, some writers ARE finding their mojo and selling stories.. [try asking the cats where they hid it]. ~love your Walrus quote... :D

Carol, the cat slave said...

Thanks guys! I've pretty much decided that's what I'll do. Although the hard part will be finding that "in between" job!