Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Controversy Rant

Have you read the article where Stephen King criticizes Stephenie Meyer?

I can’t believe the fuss that’s been made over this. Yes, Stephen King dared to voice his opinion that although he could understand Meyer’s popularity he didn’t think she was a very good writer, but he was not in any way, shape, or form, attacking her. He was answering a question during an interview and had the gall to answer honestly.

During the interview: “. . .we got into a discussion of popular authors vs. the academic elite, a subject he has strong opinions about, and I asked him if his mainstream success over the past 35 years paved the way for the massive careers of Harry Potter creator J.K. Rowling and Twilight author Stephenie Meyer.”

Stephen King replied: “I think that I serve that purpose for some writers, and that’s a good thing. Both Rowling and Meyer, they’re speaking directly to young people. ... The real difference is that Jo Rowling is a terrific writer and Stephenie Meyer can’t write worth a darn. She’s not very good."

As would be expected, the Meyer fan base responded like a swarm of angry bees, furiously buzzing with comments of what a bad person King is and how he’s jealous of Meyer’s success. What surprises me is the number of blogs I’ve been reading that are all up in arms over this buzzing, filled with the need to defend Stephen King.

Consider the source, people. Think about the Meyer fan base, these books were written for young adults, a demographic that includes teenie boppers and teenagers. Of course they’re going to react with the emotional maturity of, well, a teenager.

I have not read any of the Twilight series (although I love vampire novels, Young Adult is not my cup of tea) so I really can’t voice an opinion of my own. However, if reading the Twilight series gets some of these young people reading other things, then I have to say, well done Ms. Meyer.

If you’d like to read the article that started it all, go HERE

No comments: