Sunday, February 8, 2009

The Weather, and Other Things

It must be the change in the weather (from insanely cold to insanely warm) that’s making me so tired. I slept like a log and was still tired all day yesterday.

It’s tempting to go on a rant about the weather, it’s been so unpredictable these last few weeks that it deserves a rant, but I’m going to resist because I feel like I’ve been talking about the weather too much lately and I want to prove (if only to myself) that I’m capable of talking about other things.

So, on to other things.

We have assimilated one of the daughter’s cats into the herd. Sammie (her full name is Sam Spayed) is just as much at home sleeping on our bed with the boys as she is sleeping on the daughter’s bed. She was also seen playing chase with a couple of them.

I wish the same could be said of Oliver, but he’s still languishing in his spare bedroom prison. Poor little guy. He has a room with a view, the futon to sleep on, blankets to burrow in, bookcases to perch on, his own radio, food, water and kitty litter. He even has a few plants to savage and toys to play with. But he still spends the better part of his time by himself. Which just increases his hyperness when he gets visitors. He's a very outgoing little guy.

Only three more weeks Ollie, then you and Sammie will be reunited in your own digs again. A nice, two-bedroom apartment with all your familiar furniture and humans.

* * * * * * * * * *

After careful consideration, I deactivated my Facebook account. I admit that when I first signed up I enjoyed it quite a bit. However, the honeymoon was over pretty quickly. A person can get sucked into an obscene number of different applications and can spend hours checking people out, playing games, etc. It’s an incredible time waster.

The original idea of Facebook was a good one. It was a net-working tool designed for college/university students. Then it was opened up to the general public and anyone with an e-mail address could have Facebook (like me). I think that’s when it started to go downhill.

A few of my friends had Facebook and started to bug me about getting it. I was reluctant at first, but they wore me down and I signed up. Like I said, I enjoyed it at first, but it’s terribly time-consuming - checking friends’ updates, reading notifications and messages, playing games - I started logging into it less and less.

The friends who coerced me into joining appear to have abandoned me and quite honestly, I find I don’t really care. For me, Facebook is more of a chore than anything else. Maybe some day I’ll reactivate my account, but I think that day is pretty far away.

1 comment:

graceunderpressure said...

I found Facebook worked much better when I deleted all game applications. I'm now considering deactivating the iRead as well. If I use it to capture my cell phone pics, and talk to my children and other relatives, it works well. but it can also be a case of TMI! I have deleted people, even relatives, based on what they post on their wall.