Sunday, June 1, 2008

Welcome, to Fantasy Island

"Must be nice, you get the whole summer off." "I wish I was lucky enough to get out of this place!" "When God closes a door He opens a window."

You know what folks? Any way you want to put it, losing your job sucks.

All I ever wanted was a small, quiet niche to fill so I earn enough to pay my bills and then go home and write. Yes, I was again getting stressed out to the point where I was not getting any writing done, but the answer to de-stressing is not taking away my pay cheque.

One of the girls at work suggested I put an ad in the paper offering craft lessons. The husband thinks I should start a dot com business. And my mother-in-law thinks I should go into business with her - she wants to find a space to sell art supplies and her artwork (don’t make me have to post a picture of some of her “art work” to prove how bad an idea this is!).

Too bad there really wasn’t a Fantasy Island out there. Then I could go back in time and get a better education. That’s the catch, you see. I have all kinds of experience, but not the education to back it up. So I guess I play the waiting game until the 23rd, and then I see what kind of options are available to me for further education.

In the meantime, maybe it's time to dust off one of my novels and finish them. Now that would really be a fantasy!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I know it is really hard to go with out a pay check, but if you can..try to take some time to regroup. Everyone will be able to tell you what to do, but now is the time to do what is right for you. The cube farm was ok for the short term, but developed into an drag on your soul. What makes you happy? That is the question! Look for the open window...

Carol, the cat slave said...

I'm going to check with a job counsellor to see what kinds of jobs are waiting to be filled in this area. Then I suspect it'll be back to school . . . at my age!

Of course winning the lottery is still an option!

Anonymous said...

Interesting to know.