Saturday, June 28, 2008

Tree Vent

Okay, I can't stand it any more. I have to vent to get it out of my system.

My next door neighbour had two enormous, beautiful, birch trees in her back yard. These trees were the resting place for countless birds, the playground for numerous squirrels, and shaded not only her back yard, but ours as well.

Last weekend, while I was at the pot luck, my neighbour (whom I'd always thought of as a sweet, little old lady) had them cut down. Granted, one of them was dead, but the other one there is no excuse for.

My back yard feels naked now. I sit on my deck and there's no sense of privacy, I feel exposed.

The patio feels bright and hot, not cool and shaded. How old must those trees have been to have grown to that size? They were so tall it even shaded our bedroom window.

I'm going to miss those trees.

No comments: