Saturday, June 7, 2008

Cheese Anyone?

In case you haven't realized it by now, when there's cheese in the title of the post, it means the whine's not far behind.

I've been thinking a lot about my job options, and it all boils down to having to decide what I want to be when I grow up. Let's face it, I'm not getting any younger. If I go back to school at this point, it better be for something I really like 'cause this is pretty much my last chance (financially speaking).

That being said, I need to find out what jobs are available in this area (moving is out of the question and gas prices being what they are I'm not commuting more than 50 km) and then see what courses the government is willing to pay for me to take.

The ironic part is, when I ask myself the question "What do you want to be when you grow up?" the answer is always: A writer. However, that being said, I've just spent the last couple of hours with my Word document in the background while I play games, check e-mails, and update blogs. I think I've written all of three sentences.

I've been putting a lot of pressure on myself to finish one of my novels, which in some ways is a good thing because I've picked one novel and I'm sticking with it. Unfortunately it narrows my focus until all I can see is that one novel, making me forget all the other writing I'm able to do - short stories, poetry . . .

Maybe it's time to broaden my horizons, so to speak, and spend some time outside with a pad of lined paper and a pencil. God knows we finally have the weather for it.

No comments: