Wednesday, March 5, 2008

Organization

I’m becoming addicted to organization. I blame Clean Sweep for this. It started with the plastic containers in my kitchen (I found some cloth baskets that fit into the cupboard perfectly - instant organization!) and snowballed from there. Next was organizing the kitchen counter to make room for my spiffy new spice rack. This led to cleaning out a couple of cupboards as well (my spice/baking cupboard looks positively barren).

The point of this (you did figure there was a point beyond patting myself on the back, didn’t you?) is that I think organization is what my problem is in Driving Into Forever. This section I’ve been working on has a lot of information in it, but it needs to be organized. It needs to be told in just the right order for the story to progress.

Last night, before I figured out the organization angle, I had a marathon phone session with my writing buddy. I told her there was one piece of information in particular that had to be presented because it was pivotal to the next book as well. She suggested I turn it into a nursery rhyme that one of the characters recites. So, while we were talking I started doodle-writing and came up with a rhyme. It works great!

Thanks CrazyNance! You get the first batch of cookies that comes out of my brand new convection oven . . . once I figure out how to use it.

No comments: