Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Whine Free Wednesday

That’s right, it’s safe to read again. I’m over my whining fit.:-)

And what’s more, I’m writing this during class, which speaks volumes about how much work I have to do. I finished the chapter work for all five chapters and I’m taking a break before I go on to unexplored chapters of the textbook.

* * * * * * * * * *

Last night was my monthly poetry meeting. It was the largest group around the table yet, I think there were thirteen of us. We even had a new member join us. I’m not sure who invited her, but I gather she’s an established poet. She certainly know how to make a statement, her hair was the same colour blue as her pants. :-)

My poems were well received – I read my Pantoum from last week’s Passion for Poetry (over on my writing blog) and surprisingly enough, most people were familiar with this form. I don’t know why everyone else is so familiar with all these funky forms while I missed out. Must be a comment on the local high school English programs. Or maybe they all have more formal training.

In any case, I made it just under the wire with my “poemwork”. This month’s challenge was to take the first line and the last line of a poem by one of your favourite Canadian poets and then fill in the space with your own work. I was literally printing it out as I was putting on my shoes to leave.

* * * * * * * * * *

I’m a woman on a mission. I’m in search of a brand of Chai Tea that I can use for my morning tea. Yes, I know there’s lots of recipes on the internet to make your own, but I’m lazy. I want it pre-packaged.

But I’ve learned an important lesson when it comes to Chai, it doesn’t pay to be cheap. I checked out the selection in our upscale grocery store, then settled on the Tetley Chai because it was cheapest.

All I can say is, you get what you pay for. While not the worst Chai I’ve ever had, it’s a little on the weak side. Next time I’ll try using two bags, which, of course, negates the whole “cheap” concept. Half the price of other brands but you’re using twice as much.

Next time I’ll try the Tazo brand, which is what they use in the coffee shop we have our poetry readings at.

And the search goes on!

3 comments:

Jamie D. said...

You're just looking in the wrong spots for your tea (and I know, you're waiting for my Chai post - I'll do it this afternoon). ;-)

Try some Adagio, or some Harney & Sons. Just leave the grocery store stuff on the shelf, and back away. You won't be sorry!

Ciara said...

you can also buy the starbucks brand chai at grocery stores. . .or at a starbucks.

I want starbucks. . .and apple dumplings.

Carol, the cat slave said...

Jamie: I bow to your wisdom, oh mighty tea master (I tried two bags of the tetley and it still tasted weak)

Ciara: you peel the apples, I'll do the rest.