Monday, September 7, 2009

Happy Labour Day!

Yes, I know I missed Friday's post. I was busy finishing a baby quilt that really did not want to get finished. Mental note, new T.V. craft is embroidering baby quilt blocks until I have a stock pile again. There's three more babies impending over the next 6 months and I don't want to be caught short when it comes to baby quilts. :-)

In fairness to myself, the baby quilt I just finished was a departure for me. Normally I do a nine-block quilt, five squares of which have embroidered cartoon characters on them. This quilt, a I believe I mentioned in an earlier post, was custom done for the daughter to give to a friend of hers. It has classsic Winnie-the-Pooh pictures, which were a little more complicated to embroider as well as their dimensions were a little odd. So there were six individual blocks to embroider, and then a double one that ran down the center with a space to put the baby's name and birth date after the blessed event. So yeah, there was a lot more work to it, especially when one sews the lining to the wrong side of the quilt, but it turned out much better than I expected, especially when the sun was coming up before I was finished. :-)

* * * * * * * * * *

Saturday I grabbed a few hours sleep and then started getting stuff ready for the birthday party we were hosting at our place for the son-in-law. As per my luck, I was just on my way out the door to pick up the cake when a friend called and kept me on the phone for half an hour, so I was just getting out of the shower when people started showing up.

It was a perfect night for a party though. Not too hot, not too cold, no wind so I was able to scatter tea lights around the deck when it started getting dark. We still had the fireworks that didn't get used for the rehearsal dinner earlier in the summer, so we set them off when it became fully dark.

After everyone left the husband and I half-heartedly cleaned up and then napped while watching the Star Trek movie marathon on the Space channel. :-)

* * * * * * * * * *

Sunday we just couldn't seem to get motivated. It was just one of those real lazy days that you can either beat yourself up about or just go with the flow. I finally got some ambition late in the night (early in the morning?) and got the chapter written and posted for my serial. I had actually decided to just skip it, but then the words started coming. Isn't that always the way?

This would have been a good weekend for embroidery. The Space channel has been running the Star Trek movies in consecutive order and today they're running the viewer's choice of top ten original episodes.

Yes, I'm a total Trekkie. And proud of it! :-)

No comments: