Monday, January 19, 2009

Weekender

It’s been a sad week in entertainment.

First we have the death of Ricardo Montalban, best remembered for his role as Mr. Rourke on Fantasy Island, and his most important role of all, Kahn.

And second, Johnny Dep announced his intention to get married. Jeez, Johnny, just because she had your children doesn’t mean you have to marry her.

In other entertainment news . . . did everyone catch the new Battlestar Galactica? It kind of reminded me of an episode of Lost - it raised more questions than it answered. Like, WTF was going through Dee’s mind? And who really is the fifth cylon? It’s not as cut and dried as it first appeared. Even though I was not a fan of the show when it first came out (I was a big fan of the original series) I’m looking forward to the remaining 9 episodes.

Then I was up late trying to dull the pain in my back enough so I could go to bed and I caught X-Men Last Stand (I think it was called). Was it really necessary to kill off Professor Xavier in that manner? And of the X-men that suvived, half of them are powerless now. If they didn't want to make any more movies, why didn't they just stop making them? Although there is going to be a Wolverine movie . . .

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Something new for me, I have a recipe to share.

Sundays I like to serve up a proper dinner and I get tired of having either a roast or ham. When I was at the doctor’s office on Friday I was leafing through a Chatelaine magazine and came across this recipe. It’s as easy as it sounds and it turned out really great, even though I had to make a couple of substitutions (like honey mustard for the Dijon mustard, and a loin roast cut length-wise in two for the two tenderloins). If you want the original recipe, go HERE . The one below is how I made it.

Easy Pork Wellington

450g pkg frozen puff pastry (2 sheets), thawed
8 slices prosciutto
2 pork tenderloins
2 tsp honey mustard
salt and black pepper

1. Preheat oven to 350F (180C). Have an ungreased baking sheet ready.
2. Unroll sheets of pastry, spread with mustard.
3. Vertically lay 4 slices of prosciutto in centre of pastry, overlapping slightly. Place 1 tenderloin horizontally across prosciutto, tucking in skinny end of pork so meat is of even thickness.
4. Fold bottom part of pastry and prosciutto over pork. Fold in pastry edges. Then roll pastry around pork to form a log. Pinch edges to completely seal. Place log, seam side down, on baking sheet.
5. Bake in centre of preheated oven until pastry is a deep golden brown, 45 to 50 minutes. Turn sheet halfway through baking time. Let stand 5 minutes before slicing.

No comments: