Thursday, October 9, 2008

Hung Like an Elephant

Okay, I’ll admit it. I’m as voyeuristic as the next person when it comes to the web cam. I check out Mount St. Helens on a regular basis via the Volcano-cam and every once in awhile I’ll think to check out the Leprechaun-cam set up in Ireland. But sometimes web-cams can give you a little more than you bargained for.

I’m talking about the Africa-cam . You actually have the choice of two web cams to view - the Nkorho Pan and the Elephant Plains. Having always dreamed of going on a photo safari in Africa, I love this site.

The Nkorho Pan is set up near a watering hole and obviously someone mans the camera because it can pan 360 degrees as well as zoom in and out. It also has sound, which today is a little annoying because it’s very windy over there.

Anyway, the sun sets early afternoon our time over there, so the first few times I watched it was evening. The very first animal I saw was an elephant who came to give himself a mud bath. So I’m watching him, thinking ‘how cool is this?’ and then I notice he seems to have an extra leg. And then I realize, that’s not a leg. It was like watching a train wreck - you don’t want to look but you just can’t help yourself.

Yeah, I know. I really have to get a life.

No comments: