Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Tuesday's Question

One of the reasons I gave up my other blog (which I don't even remember the name of now) was because it had really degenerated into a pity party of which I was the only guest. Although granted there has been some whining in this blog, I hope there's been more to it than that.

My point? Well, no point really. I just wanted to get that off my chest. And maybe to re-state my promise to keep the whining to a minimum (which some days is much harder to do than others).

Now that that's over with, I want to tell you a story. This is the story of a couple of girls I work with. Let's call them Ava and Bee. Ava and Bee are friends, best friends as it were.

Things were going good for them. Though both divorced, with children, each had a man in her life. Ava was engaged and Bee's man had her and the kids move in with him.

Time passed. Bee's man had a change of heart. He couldn't deal with her three teenagers after all. Bee found a new place to live and Ava and her fiance were drafted to help her move.

Moving day came and Bee unlocked the door of her new home . . . only to be greeted by a flood of water. While the house had been empty the water had been turned off. Add to this a cold snap and you get burst pipes.

This is the part I want you to think about. What would you do, not in Bee's place, but Ava's?

Remember that Bee has three teenagers. She also has three cats, two kittens and two Alaskan Malamutes.

Would you calculate how much room was in your basement and offer to take Bee and the kids in until she could come up with some other solution?
Would you offer to lend moral support to Bee as she drove back to the boyfriend to tell him it would be awhile before he was rid of her?
Would you hesitate only briefly, until Bee's crying got to you, and offer to take her and the kids in?
Would you breathe a sigh of relief that the insurance would pay for Bee and her family to stay in a hotel while the repairs are made to the house?

Or would you do something else? Think about it. I'll tell you what happened on Friday's post.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I remembered....

http://earthsfire.blogspot.com/

Waiting for Friday's post!