Wednesday, July 8, 2009

I’m Baack!

In case I hadn’t mentioned it before, the daughter got married on the weekend. So, from the time of my last post to now I was just a wee bit busy with wedding stuff. :- )

Just a sample, here’s a run-down of what last week was like:

Monday started off with a migraine and ended with me buying a new carpet for the dining room. In between we got a call from the florist to inform us that she couldn’t get in any of the flowers we ordered for the wedding.

Tuesday was pretty much spent dusting and cleaning.

Wednesday I figured I’d better get to work on my mother-of-the-bride outfit for the wedding. I’ve been sewing for years and I’m pretty quick about it. Not only did I get the skirt finished (it was a two piece dress), I had enough time for more cleaning and to make a big dinner for my in-laws and the mother of the groom. It was at some time during this that I took a slice out of one of my knuckles. I refused to go to the hospital (no time!) And eventually the bleeding stopped.

Thursday I got started on the top part of my dress, only to discover (when I got it to the point where I could try it on) that it was too small. I got new supplies (the nearest fabric centre is about a 45 minute drive away) but didn’t have time to start working on it until after the bridal shower, which didn’t end until after 11 p.m. However, I worked at warp speed afterwards and got the dress done before I went to bed.

Friday I had a pile of odds and ends to get done, not the least of which was making salads for the barbeque we were having after the wedding rehearsal.

Saturday was the actual wedding. It went off beautifully, no one would ever guess the chaos that lead up to the actual ceremony. Added to all the work we did was a bridesmaid that pulled out with little notice and a best man who got deployed to Afghanistan.

Kudos to the girls of the wedding party who went above and beyond the call of friendship in their helpfulness.

You’d think Sunday would have been a day of rest, but no, we decided to have a pot luck lunch. Out of town guests mingled with in-town guests, many of whom apparently did not understand the concept of “pot luck”. And by this I mean certain family members who shall remain nameless, but who started helping themselves before I could even set everything out.

And now, because you’ve been so patient with my ranting, here’s a picture of the happy couple:

Cutting the cake:


The day after:



For the musical tribute, go HERE

3 comments:

wankerunithg said...

Hi... this is Lia from Absolute Write (I didn't realize there was already a cat there!) I just wanted to say hi, and thanks for welcoming me [:

The wedding pictures are great, your daughter is really beautiful!

Carol, the cat slave said...

Thanks Lia!

There's lots of cats over on AW. We're biding our time and one day we'll take over! :-)

graceunderpressure said...

Aww, that's lovely, you have a son now. :D
Weddings are like improv: you try to get all the details right, but in the end you fake it!