Thursday, August 21, 2008

Superstition

How superstitious are you?

Although I love black cats and have found the number 13 to be more lucky than not, I don’t walk under ladders and when I see a penny I do pick it up to avoid the bad luck. Also, if I spill the salt I’ll throw a pinch over my shoulder, and I knock wood on a regular basis.

What brought this on (I can hear you wondering)? Well, I’ll tell you.

A while ago a friend gave me a three-footed money frog that’s supposed to bring good fortune. I had it sitting on the shelf in my bookcase, facing East, which is what I thought it was supposed to do. It didn’t seem particularly lucky to me, but neither did it seem at all unlucky.

Then this same friend was over a couple of weeks ago and told me the story behind the frog, and that for it to bring good fortune it was supposed to be hidden, but facing the front door. Dutifully I moved the frog to the appropriate spot and waited for my good fortune.

As the days passed I couldn’t help but notice that not only was good fortune not raining down on me, but I was having more than my ususal share of bad luck. After two weeks of this, on a day particularly filled with bad luck, I couldn’t take it any more. I moved the frog back to the bookcase, facing East and then I left the house before anything else bad could happen.

When I returned, it appeared my luck had changed. For the better. So, not content to leave it at that, I did my own research on the frog, and it appears that my friend had it wrong. The frog is not supposed to face the door, it’s supposed to sit near the front door and face into the room.

As soon as I’m feeling lucky enough, I may give it another try. However, until that time, you can learn more about the three-footed money frog HERE

No comments: