Sunday, July 13, 2008

Stupidity and Hidden Treasures

As I may have mentioned before, I cleaned out my spare bedroom. Keeping in the organized frame of mind, I thought "Wouldn't it be nice to keep the extra bedding the in closet in the spare bedroom. I should clean out the closet to make space."

Thus we have the stupidity portion of this post.

The closet in the spare bedroom may look very small, but it's not. It's not wide, but it is very deep. And it has built in shelves. Very full shelves. So full, in fact, the top shelf is definitely sagging.

To get into the closet I had to move a substantial stack of paintings the daughter has done. A couple of shelves are filled with various art supplies belonging to both the daughter and myself. There is between twenty and thirty years worth of writing magazines (thank God they're tied in bundles). There are boxes of craft books, and many boxes of miscellaneous stuff that had been deemed not quite useless enough to be thrown out.

Are you understanding the stupidity part yet?

I did come across a pattern for a shawl I'd been looking for in a box of craft books and magazines, but that's not the true treasure. The true treasure was found in a box of miscellaneous magazines.

Many (many, MANY) years ago I'd taken a writing course, just to give my writing a boost. Okay, it was more to give me a kick in the butt where my writing was concerned. I wanted to take my writing more seriously. Anyway, I found a couple of comment sheets from this course:

"This is far and away the best story I've gotten in my years of teaching. You should be proud of your accomplishment and gains as a writer; I know I am."

"This is a wonderful story. Everything I have read of yours is truly professional. I love your "visuals". Reading this story was like watching a film. I saw the entire thing."

"You have a gift for making your characters very real in very few words."

Too bad I have no idea what story the instructor was talking about.

No comments: