Thursday, July 10, 2008

I Have a Dream!

My dream is to go back to school to acquire the skills I need to have a career instead of a job. I've had jobs, lots of jobs. It's high time I got a job I liked, a career.

I've been doing some research online about second careers and there's a lot of choices out there. If I was 20 years younger there's a couple that I would really love to try out. I think the trick is to narrow down my choices and go in to my next meeting with my job counsellor armed with the information I need to get started.

Of course my first choice of a career would be writing. However, I'm also enough of a realist to know that when I finish my book and sell it I'll still need a day job. I have no illusions about being the next Nora Roberts.

On the plus side, I have been getting myself into the habit of coming down to my office every morning and working at the computer. Okay, there's a lot of surfing and piddling around going on, but at least I'm sitting at the computer. I've even started getting some writing done. (Does a 6,000 word letter to my sister count?)

Maybe I'm finally getting there. I can dream, can't I?

Hold fast to dreams,
For if dreams die
Life is a broken winged bird
That cannot fly.
Hold fast to dreams,
For if dreams go
Life is a barren field
Covered with snow.

~Langston Hughes

No comments: