Sunday, February 3, 2008

Progress

I have to admit that I've been doing more reading than writing this past week. Reading is one of the few things we can get away with when it's slow at work and it kind of spilled over into my after work time.

Amongst the other books I read, I re-read the Katie MacAlister vampire series (five books in all). Even if you don't like vampire romances I highly recommend them. They're very well written and never fail to make me laugh.

There was a time when I wouldn't do a lot of reading if the writing was going well. In fact, the more I'd read the less I'd write and vice versa. It appears, however, that I've overcome this hurdle. I'm still plugging away at my own writing, even though I've been doing so much reading this week.

Driving Into Forever started out as an experiment of sorts. It was my first attempt at Nano, where you have 30 days to write a 50,000 novel. Because I wrote it so fast I left out a lot of the necessary detail. I fell short on my word count and now I'm having to make up for it.

The more I work on it, the more I'm able to refine the story. There's much more to it now than just 'boy meets girl under unusual circumstances'. There's a whole adventure, espionage line on top of the romance, and I'm even finding the back story that explains the characters motivations.

In otherwords, I'm starting to enjoy working on it. This is the way writing should be. It's not the word count that matters, it's the words.

No comments: