Saturday, February 2, 2008

More Friend Stuff

I used to think that with today's technology, namely computers, that it's easier in this day and age for parted friends to keep in touch than it was say 15 or 20 years ago.

I'm willing to admit I was wrong.

Thirty years ago, before computers, my closest friend moved away. For more than a decade she moved all over Ontario, yet we never lost touch. How, you ask? Good old fashioned snail mail. We became champion letter writers - large missives filled with the minutiae of our daily lives.

Fast forward to the present where a single stamp is almost a dollar, but everyone has a computer. And if you don't have one of your own, it's easy to get access to one. E-mail accounts are free of charge. Even my computer phobic husband has a hotmail address.

You'd think this would make it easier for friends to stay in touch, even when they move, but you're forgetting one very important thing. Friendship, like any relationship, takes work. You have to make an effort.

My friend and I have progressed to e-mail but we're still friends. We still keep in touch. We still make the effort.

Maybe if we all made a little more effort the world would be a friendlier place.

No comments: