Tuesday, March 20, 2007

Spring and Reality

Today is the Vernal Equinox. In otherwords, happy first day of spring.

In celebration, I left work early today and then went to see the movie 300 tonight. Okay, the truth is I went home sick from work because I just couldn't stand being there anymore. And I went to the movies just so I could suspend reality for a while.

Reality is not all it's cracked up to be. Reality is working in a cube farm where the moral is bottoming out; it's coming home to a house that has way too much "stuff" in it. Reality is bills and bad news and an empty box of French Truffles.

Suspension of reality comes from the ability to lose yourself in a good book, or a movie, or spending time with a friend who can help you pretend, even for a little while, that you're not a middle-aged grownup with responsibilities, but a kid without a care in the world.

I think that's why I feel the need to write. Not just as a form of expression, but a need to create something that will help someone else suspend reality, even if it's just for the length of a short story.

No comments: