Monday, September 3, 2007

Productivity Smoductivity

You know, I'm really starting to get the impression that summer time is not a good time for a writing challenge. I've got the sweating part down pat, it's the writing part that I keep having trouble with.

Just when I thought it was safe to feel like a writer . . . life intruded. Company coming, family functions, kid moving back home, change in shifts at work . . . Every time I turn around it's something.

Will this week be any better? I have no clue. Tomorrow when the daughter comes home from work I have to drive her out to one of my work friends so she can ride a horse. Don't ask, it's a long story.

Next weekend I have an anniversary party to go to in Brooklyn (Ontario, not New York). I'd pass, but it's for my sister.

I'm liking my new shift very much. I wish I tried it at the beginning of the summer. I like it so much, in fact, that I'm seriously considering keeping it for the next quarter. It took me no adjustment at all to sleeping during the day. And when I wake up I'm all ready for writing (too bad I haven't actually been doing any).

So, what do I do all night when it isn't busy at work? Well, this week I crocheted a baby blanket for a friend of the daughter's. Usually I gossip or play games. This week I'm going to start printing out sections of one of my works in progress and try doing some editing. I'll let you know how it works out.

1 comment:

Nicole Gestalt said...

I find that life always gets in the way of writing so don't worry your not the only one :)

If you are able to work with just pen and paper try taking some in with you and working on ideas or plot lines in the quiet moments of the shift. Even if you don't actually write anything new for the story having a more solid plan of where your going with it might help in the long run (of course it might not it's just a suggestion and every writer works their own way!)

I guess it's just trying to organise life around writing (and vice versa - although if you manage to work it out let me know!)