Saturday, August 18, 2007

Friends

Thursday night I went to dinner with a couple of friends I used to work with (not at the cube farm). We get together once in a while, usually just for coffee.

I admit I don't usually see too much of them together, mostly because when it's the three of us the talk usually ends up being about work - their work.

It's not that I mind hearing about their work, but the employee turn-over is high there so a lot of the people and situations they're talking about are unfamiliar to me. Thursday was no different - 90% their work, 10% other stuff.

Of course that got me to thinking about the friends I currently work with. I have a lot of them on MSN and when we talk we usually end up talking about work when we have nothing else to say.

The few writing friends I have, both ones I currently work with and ones I don't, never seem to spend much time talking about their jobs. We talk mostly about reading and writing and how we'd like to quit our jobs so we'd have more time for both.

My point (you knew I'd get to a point eventually didn't you?)is that do writing friends just seem to have more to say because they're writers, or does writing create a bond that non-writers don't seem to have?

It's not like my writing friends and I talk solely about writing either, we talk about a variety of things, a never ending stream of the weird and wonderful.

I have to admit, by the time dinner was done on Thursday I was pretty tired of listening to work woes. Does this make me a bad friend?

1 comment:

graceunderpressure said...

writers know that work sucks and is depressing, unless your work is writing, in which case it is either exhilerating or depressing.. but more fun that other work.. so we ignore work and talk about writing! and cat macros, because they are cool. ^)^